Did you know by the time you’re an adult you will have 32 teeth that eventually replace your baby teeth? It goes without saying good dental care needs to start from the very first tooth to ensure the adult teeth you’re are left with remain in good condition to last you a lifetime.
Generally baby teeth erupt between 6 and 12 months but children can get their first tooth at varying stages. By the time children reach their third birthday, 20 baby teeth will have arrived!
Our 32 adult teeth generally replace the baby teeth between 6 years and 20 years of age but good dental care needs to start as soon as the first baby tooth makes its audition.
Advanced Dental Care Clinic on the Gold Coast share some tips here on how to start a good dental care regime from the first tooth right through to adulthood:
- Avoid giving baby sugary, sweetened and starchy foods, sweetened liquids or softdrinks
- Don’t put baby to sleep with bottles of milk, formula, juice, or any other sweetened liquid or soft drink
- Brush the child’s teeth every morning after breakfast and before going to bed
- Add a very small amount of children’s fluoride toothpaste to a soft children’s toothbrush
- Will gentle pressure, gentlybrush each tooth including the gum line
- Encourage brushing of the child’s tongue
- Very young children do not need to floss
Regularly replace any worn toothbrushes and take the child to a dentist for a check-up before their first birthday, then every six months. If you have any concerns over the development of your child’s teeth, see a dentist as soon as possible.15
Adult teeth will replace baby teeth generally between our 6th and 20th year of age. Advanced Dental Care Clinic on the Gold Coast recommend adults see a dentist every 6 months, complemented with a home dental care regime as follows:
- Avoid sugary, sweetened or starchy foods
- Avoid sugary liquids or soft drinks
- Brush and floss teeth every morning after breakfast and before going to bed
- Use a fluoride toothpaste with a soft toothbrush
- With gentle pressure, gentlyand thoroughly brush each tooth including the gum line
- Brush tongue to remove bacteria
- Rinse, then use a mouthwash to avoid bad breath
- Visit a dentist every 6 months for a check-up and clean
With some simple, preventative dental care habits instilled at a young age, you can avoid costly trips to the dentist for fillings or expensive orthodontist work. Advanced Dental Care Clinic on the Gold Coast offer laser dentistry treatments for virtually pain free dental services.
If you have any dental care enquiries or wish to speak with our friendly and professional team about your baby’s dental care, call us. We welcome all our patient’s enquiries.